We designed our CNC chucker lathe for our industrial customers who want the convenience of using multiple tools in a single set-up. The lathe has a 13″ crosslide that accommodates the 3/8″ gang-tooling tool post and two, optional tool posts that can be used for boring and parting tools (tools not included).
NOTE: Machines equipped with ball screws will not include laser engraved scales on the mill table or the mill base.
Standard Features Include
- Ball Leadscrew*: Rolled Ball Screw with BSH Nut .10mm Diameter, 2mm Lead.C7 Accuracy, P1 Preload. The linear accuracy is 50 micrometers/300mm
- 3/8″ Gang-tooling tool post, which holds up to four tools
- 14″ Base
- 13″ Mill table
- Mill Saddle: Has electroless nickel coating with Teflon. This offers a hard surface that is rustproof. The Teflon offers a friction coefficient of .1-.2u for smoother movement of the saddle and the table.
- 3C Collet headstock: TIR (total indicator runout) is rated at 0.001″ (.0005” or less upon request for an additional charge) on the 3C headstock. In addition, the 3C spindle is electroless nickel plated to aid in rust prevention and to increase the surface hardness of the spindle for durability.
- Powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- Two, 2-amp high-torque stepper motors*
- Accordion way cover and brass-tube leadscrew cover
- Maximum feed rate is 32 in/min.
- Largest diameter through the collet is ½” (13mm). NOTE: collets are not available through Sherline Products. We recommend buying them from Hardinge.
*NOTE: See the Specifications tab located above for the Ball Leadscrew and High-Torque Stepper Motor specs.
Included CNC Driver Box Components
- P/N 8760 4-axis CNC Driver Box (Converts g-code to steps to run DC stepper motors)
- Output cables for X, Y, Z and A pre-wired with DIN plugs for stepper motors
- 3.7 amp, 24-volt power supply with cord, works on 115 or 240 VAC
- Fused circuit protection
- 25-pin parallel cable*
- 2 CD set with Ubuntu Linux OS and LinuxCNC control program, and utilities and instructions
- Two spare fuses
NOTE: A 25-wire parallel port is required because LinuxCNC is designed to be capable of running up to six axes simultaneously. Even though the Sherline driver box only uses four of those axes at one time, a 2-wire serial USB port cannot transmit data to multiple axes fast enough for glitch-free CNC operation.
Minimum Computer Requirements
In order to install and run a Linux based system from the disc provided it is recommended the computer have at least the following minimum specifications:
- Processor speed: 800 MHz or faster (Pentium III class or equivalent processor)
- RAM: 512 Mb (Sherline provides 1 Gb)
- Hard Drive: 20 Gb or larger
- 25-pin parallel port (printer port)
- (Laptop computers are not recommended.)
For the most current information on hardware requirements for LinuxCNC/EMC2 see LinuxCNC Hardware Requirements
Chucker Lathe Photo Gallery
Chucker Lathe Accessories
- P/N 11850 3/8″ Chuck Arbor with 3/8″ Shank
- COMING SOON 5/8″ WW Collet Holder
- P/N 5935 5/8″ Gang-Tooling Tool Post
- P/N 5931 3/8″ Rear Side Cutoff Multi-Tool Holder
- P/N 5932 3/8″ Front Side Multi-Tool Holder
- P/N 5936 5/8″ Rear Side Cutoff Multi-Tool Holder
- P/N 5937 5/8″ Front Side Multi-Tool Holder
- P/N 2266 Carbide Tip RH 55° 3/8″ Boring Bar w/2Flats
- P/N 2268 Carbide Tip RH 80° 3/8″ Boring Bar w/2Flats
- P/N 2273 Carbide Tip LH 55° 3/8″ Boring Bar w/2Flats
- P/N 2274 Carbide Tip LH 80° 3/8″ Boring Bar w/2Flats
*We added a second flat to our standard boring bars so they could be held with the insert face up or face down.