Any Sherline mill can be ordered with stepper motor mounts factory installed in place of the handwheels and ready for the application of stepper motors and computer numeric controls (CNC). Sherline supplies the mounts, and several aftermarket suppliers offer motors, drivers and software to complete the CNC system. You supply the 486 or better computer. See our CNC Dealers page for a list of supplies and links to their home pages.
Sherline recommends using dual shaft stepper motors so that handwheels can be applied to the rear shaft for manual control. With that in mind, handwheels for each axis are included with the machine, although they cannot be used until stepper motors are installed. Sherline also offers high-quality stepper motors, which can be found in the accessories section of this site.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
Standard equipment for the mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 18″ mill base with Y-axis leadscrew protection
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 18.0″ (457 mm) extended mill table with two T-slots
- 7″ x 13″ tooling plate
- 15″ (63mm) extended column bed
- Extra-rigid column base
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
*NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Oil reservoirs on the X-, Y- and Z-axes
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual