The 5000-series mills are Sherline’s most economical mills and would be a good starting point for any miniature machine shop. They feature a solid 10″ (254mm) aluminum base, precision machined dovetailed slides with adjustable gibs, permanently lubricated spindle bearings, adjustable preload anti-backlash feed screws on the X- and Y-axes, two 1-5/8″ (41mm) laser engraved aluminum handwheels, one 2-1/2″ (63mm) laser engraved handwheel with thrust bearings, and many other features found only on the best commercial machines.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 10″ base
- Standard 1-5/8″ (41mm) handwheels on the X- and Y-axes, and one 2-1/2″ (63mm) with thrust bearings on the Z-axis. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew