Any Sherline milling machine can be ordered with digital readouts factory installed. The installation includes special handwheels with built-in electronic encoders that replace the standard handwheels. (The standard handwheels are not included when the DRO option is ordered.) These special DRO handwheels are connected to an electronic readout box that translates the handwheel movement into a display of table travel for each of the three axes of movement. The readout for any axis can be reset to zero at any time with the push of a button. Spindle RPM is also constantly displayed on the box whenever the motor is running. The readout can be fitted to either inch or metric machines.
The display shows the position of each axis in relation to a zero point that you establish. Inch versions show position to three and a half decimal places or to within .0005″. Metric versions show position to within .01 mm. Backlash can be electronically eliminated by setting its measured value into the readout box for each axis. When handwheel rotation changes direction, the backlash value is electronically subtracted before the readout counts in the other direction.
The ease with which distance and direction can be kept track of with this system will add a new level of enjoyment to your machining. It also helps eliminate some of the tedious jobs of keeping track of handwheel revolutions and thereby helps eliminate errors.
NOTE: The unit does not translate dimensions from inch to metric. It must be initialized to work with the pitch of the leadscrew to which the handwheel is attached.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
- A DRO display with power supply, and tachometer pickup decal
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 10″ base
- Special handwheels are supplied with DRO machines. These handwheels can be reset to zero electronically with the push of a button on the DRO display box. Sherline DRO mills are outfitted with the special DRO 2″ (51mm) handwheels on the Y-axis leadscrew and X-axis table feed screw, and a 2.5″ handwheel on the Z-axis vertical feed screw. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew