Sherline recommends using dual shaft stepper motors so that handwheels can be applied to the rear shaft for manual control. With that in mind, handwheels for each axis are included with the machine, although they cannot be used until stepper motors are installed. Sherline also offers high-quality stepper motors, which can be found in the accessories section of this site.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 14″ base
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
*NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
- 22.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- 2″ column riser block
- Laser-engraved scales on the base and table
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew