Purpose of the Sherline Mill XYZ Bases
The Sherline ball screw mills can be purchased without the headstock and motor/speed control. This allows owners of other Sherline machines to swap the headstock and motor/speed control from one machine to the ball screw mill in approximately 60 seconds. This package offers savings compared to the price of our full ball screw mills.
This 12″ XYZ base is the same base used in our 5400-series mill but has been modified for use with ball screws. It has a 12″ base with stepper motor mounts installed on the X-, Y- and Z-axes ready for the installation of stepper motors, and laser engraved table and base. (Stepper motors not included, see the STEPPER MOTOR page.)
*NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
Standard equipment for the XYZ base:
- 14″ Mill Base
- Electroless nickel/Teflon coated mill saddle
- 11″ Column Bed. Option to upgrade to 15″ Extended Column with nickel/Teflon plating
- 13″ Mill Table
- Stepper-motor mounts with high-torque couplings
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z-axis to help keep critical parts lubricated.
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
- Accordion way cover
- Travel: X=8.65″ (220 mm), Y= 7.0″ (178 mm), Z=5.25″ (133 mm)