The 5500-series mills are a Model 5000-series mill upgraded to include adjustable “zero” handwheels in place of the standard non-resettable handwheels. They feature the same solid 10″ (254mm) aluminum base, precision machined dovetailed slides with adjustable gibs, permanently lubricated spindle bearings, adjustable preload anti-backlash feed screws on the X- and Y-axes, and many other features found only on the best commercial machines.
Adjustable zero handwheels allow the user to reset the handwheel to a zero reading at any time without moving the leadscrew. This makes dialing in the next dimension easier, as you are starting from zero each time. It also helps eliminate math errors.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
Standard equipment for the model 5500 (5510 metric) mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 10″ base
- 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes, and one 2-1/2″ (63mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well.
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew.
Model 5500 (5510 metric) Vertical Milling Machine (10″ base) and standard accessories PLUS:
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Step block hold-down set
- 5/32″ Sherline hex T-driver
- 3-piece center drill set
- Fly cutter w/carbide bit
- 3-piece mill collet set w/drawbolt
- 6-piece 3/8″ 2-flute double-ended end mill set (P/N 7401 4-flute set may be substituted depending on availability)
- 3/8″ end mill holder
- Milling vise
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide book